miércoles, 19 de septiembre de 2018

Chun-Chin


Note: This is a short tale that was “invented” some years ago, when every night I said tales to my kids before sleeping. I would try to catch it from my memories.
It was written in English some days ago during this class. I have corrected some words and expressions. I hope you will enjoy it.


CHUN-CHIN

Once Upon a time there was a child living in a country very far from here. His name was Chun-Chin. He was twelve years old. He had lost his mother some years before and his father was sick, so he was looking after his father and himself. Thus, money was very scarce at Chun-Chin’s home. 
Every morning he used to go to the river to catch fish. From his catch he prepared lunch and dinner, and sometimes he was lucky to catch some many big fish that permitted him to sell some of them in the market and to earn some money to buy bread and clothes.
One day Chun-Chin was fishing as usual but throughout the whole morning he did not catch anything. Suddenly in the distance, he saw a very tall men coming closer. The man stopped at the river bank ten meters away from Chun-Chin and shouted, “Hello boy! How are things going with you?”
Chun-Chin did not answer the man. The tall man continued, “You did not catch anything today, did you? Look, Chun-Chin, I think you’d better move to the other river shore. There are not anymore fish, here. Try there on the other side. Do you see that part with lights and shadows? Go there!”
Chun-Chin was amazed. How did this man know his name? Chun-Chin was proud to know everybody down in his village but this man was really new to him. 
“How do you know my name? How do you know it if this is the first time we have met one another?” asked Chun-Chin.
“Look Chun-Chin, I am Chu-Lin an old man that knows many things. In some towns they call me a wizard, but do not worry about the things I have told you. Just do it!”
Chun-Chin looked at the sky and realized that the sun was high. The morning was almost gone and he had not caught anything.
“What could I lose by doing that?” he asked himself. “Let me do it!” He took all his things, the cane, the little hook, and the basket, and crossed the river, over some big stones spread in the middle of it, to the other bank. He threw the cord with the little hook at the end into the water and after a very few seconds he caught a huge fish!
Chun-Chin was very happy. With that fish, his father would have enough food for one week, and he also would obtain some money to buy food and a toy! He quickly ran home, happy, shouting, and singing.    
After half an hour of running he arrived home exhausted and started shouting, “Father! Father! Look at the enormous thing I have brought from the river!” The father looked at his son and the very large heavy fish in astonishment.
Chun-Chin ran to the kitchen and took a big, sharp knife to slice the fish and to separate a very ample part of it to be sold later in the market. But suddenly, the fish started to cry, “Chun-Chin, Chun-Chin, do not kill me! I am Lu-Jim a very rich man that lived in your town two hundred years ago and a sorceress transformed me into a fish. Please, kiss me on the forehead and I shall be transformed into a man! Please do it!”
Chun-Chin did not believe why such odd things were occurring! “Today was a really strange day!” he thought. “First the wizard at the river, then the huge fish, and now the talking fish. What more!”
“How revolting to kiss the fish!” thought Chun-Chin, but the fish cried again, “Please, kiss me on the forehead and I shall be transformed into a man! Please do it!”
He closed his eyes and put his mouth on the fish’s forehead. He kissed the fish between its two eyes. A short but sincere kiss it was!
Suddenly, the fish changed into the shape of a man, which was wearing extremely a very, very nice suit with gold and silver threads decorating it. The man started to speak slowly, with pleasure “Chun-Chin, as I told you I was, well… I am Lu-Jim, an important and rich man that a jealous witch converted into a little fish two hundred years ago. With the Lord’s help, the passing of the time, and some luck, I have survived and grown to be the largest fish of the river. Many fishermen tried to catch me but I was lucky. Now, I am again a man. Thanks, thanks!” said Lu-Jim.
Then, he went ahead towards Chun-Chin’s door, where he turned back saying, “Please, ask me for anything you wish and I will give it to you, now!”
Without delay, Chun-Chin made his wish, “I wish for my father to be cured forever.”
Lu-Jim said, “Let it be done!” Then he gave the child thousands of gold coins.
Chun-Chin could not believe it. With such an enormous amount of gold he could do anything! He first thought to call to the wisest physicians of the world and as if by magic, twelve very important men appeared in his home. The men stared at Chun-Chin’s father and started to talk. Then, they formulated the best medicines for the father of Chun-Chin that cured him very soon.
After that, Chun-Chin and his father went together everywhere. They had enough time to share and to talk. They played together and sometimes went fishing but just for fun. They did not need to fish for survival anymore. Chun-Chin was the happiest boy of the village.
And that was all, folks


Boston 1st July 2001
Newly corrected, Madrid 12th December 2018

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario